Select Page

Any dentist will tell you that to brush and floss are two daily habits that are well worth attaining. Flossing between your teeth can do a whole lot more for you than brushing alone.

You may be tempted to skip the habit of flossing but here are a few good reasons to motivate you. Plaque, interproximal dental plaque (plaque that collects between two teeth), food debris and bacteria may not be removed by brushing alone but flossing and brushing together can help prevent bad breath, nasty tooth decay between teeth and prevent bone loss, which can progress to tooth loss.

What is plague and tartar?

Plaque is a sticky deposit on teeth in which bacteria proliferate. If plaque is not removed it can harden into tartar, a hard mineral deposit that forms on teeth and can only be removed through professional cleaning by a dental professional. When this happens, brushing and cleaning between teeth become more difficult, and gum tissue can become swollen or may bleed. This condition is called gingivitis, the early stage of gum disease.

Regular floss

Floss was once made from twisted silk fibers but today is usually made from nylon filaments or plastic monofilaments and can be treated with flavoring agents. However natural floss is also available and flavored with things such as cardamom and tea tree and made from a toxin-free blend of vegetable and bees wax, housed in biodegradable containers. To see dental floss click here

Interdental brushes

Interdental brushes are small cylindrical brushes designed to slide into and clean the spaces between your teeth. Unlike floss, they have lateral bristles that spring out and remove plaque in the small crevices in between your teeth. To see interdental brushes click here

Vibrating floss tool

Flossing can be easier and less messy with this vibrating floss tool. This gadget gently vibrates helping to clean between your teeth and below the gum line to help remove plaque. To see a vibrating floss tool click here

Water Oral Irrigator

A Water Oral Irrigator uses a stream of pulsating water to remove bacteria, plaque and food particles caught between your teeth, above and below the gum line. This prevents periodontal diseases and other diseases related to it. The pulsating water stimulates blood flow and improve overall dental health. If used correctly, the tool can be a better way to reduce your gums from bleeding and reduce buildup of plaque. There is also the ability to mix your own mouth rinse into the irrigating chamber. To see a water irrigator click here

Airfloss Tool

Airfloss tools use a patented microburst technology to deliver tiny droplets of air and water to remove bacteria, plaque and food particles from between your teeth, while being gentle on the teeth and gum tissue. To see a airfloss tool click here


Regular tooth brushing alone cannot reach the deepest and craggiest areas in your mouth. Brushing will only clean approximately 60% of your mouth while flossing does the other 40%. When you brush and floss between your teeth you are aiming to brush your teeth, your gums and into all the hidden areas too – in other words, your whole mouth !

So don’t skimp on your oral hygiene – ‘cause floss is the boss !!!

When making your next dental appointment, call  Dr Matthew Clougher at the Dental Pod on 6234 5114.

Because it’s time you thought differently about your dental health. Keep an eye on our blog for the latest from the Dental Pod